People who hear about or meet the children usually pledge to do what they can to help. As word spreads, the children’s circle of supporters will grow and grow.
Members of The Grapevine Group have three main responsibilities:
• To become informed about Operation Breakthrough and the families it serves.
• To attend bi-monthly meetings where you will learn more about what’s going on at Operation Breakthrough and specific needs there.
• To share that information with friends, family, co-workers, your faith community or civic group.
Examples of ways you can help:
• Bring people to tour Operation Breakthrough.
• Recruit guests and/or collect auction items for our annual fundraiser. (Next one: April 26, 2019)
• Write to local, state and/or national lawmakers about issues that affect our children.
• Let us know if your employer, faith community or civic group gives grants to children’s causes.
• Approach groups to which you belong about making our children the beneficiaries of a service project, such as a diaper drive, a school supplies drive or a holiday Adopt-A-Family project.
• Speak up for low-income families when you encounter others who are not as well-informed about the challenges those families face.
The Grapevine Group meets every other month on the 4th Wednesday at 11:45 a.m. at Operation Breakthrough, 3039 Troost. The meeting dates for 2019 are Jan. 23, March 27, May 22, July 24, Sept. 25 and an evening meeting/party on a November 2019 date TBA.
The regular meetings begin at 11:45 a.m. and end promptly at 1 p.m. Lunch is served. The agenda includes a short talk by staff about one of our programs, news of events and volunteer opportunities, discussion of needs and distribution of needs list. Guests, questions and suggestions are always welcome.
Grapevine is a “no guilt” group. Come when you can; arrive late or leave early when you must. If you miss a meeting, you can still help by reading the needs list that is emailed to all after the meeting and forwarding it to your circle of friends.
Questions? Contact Jennifer Heinemann at email@example.com.